To make immediate reservations call:
Make a Reservation
13 Second Street
Built in the Scottish Vernacular Style
Since a large section of land in this area was owned by the Ryerson family it seems possible that Nathan Moses was given this lot by his father-in-law, Stephen D. Ryerson. Nathan Moses is believed to have been one of the leading ship owners in Yarmouth between 1842 and 1875. He was a member of parliament for the township of Yarmouth in 1855 and in 1863 held the position of Justice of the Peace. He was a director of “the Acadian Insurance Company” for 21 years (1861 – 1881). Mr. Moses died in 1887, his wife Sarah (or Sabra) Moses died in 1903.
Nathan Moses June 14, 1881 Merchant/ Mariner
14 Collins Street
New England Georgian Colonial in Style
Although no deed could be found to James D. Cann, we do know that in November of 1845 Cann and his wife Harriett took out a mortgage on this property with John Bingay for $50.00. John Bingay died within the next few years and James Cann failed to meet the terms of their agreement. The next record available is a Sheriff’s deed from Joseph Shaw (High Sheriff) to Reverend Robert Wilson for $240.00. The home was owned for some time by Benjamin Killam,, he died insolvent in 1876 and the house was sold by an assignee of his estate. The house has had several notable owners over the years. Lawson states “Postmaster” Hood purchased the homestead of Rev. Dr. Day, corner Collins and Willow Streets, in September 1889 for $3,000.00
James D. Cann November 17 1845 Mariner
16 Collins Street
1875 – 1878
Built in the Second Empire Style.
$900.00 seems to be the average price for vacant lots in the area at that time. The house was built some time before 1878 when it appears in accurate detail on the BEV map of Yarmouth. In 1895, McLaughlin conveyed the house (in trust) to his wife Annie. Annie McLaughlin died in June of 1899 leaving the homestead to her seven daughters and stipulating that all nine of her children as well as her brother Hugh McManu a Rigger, could reside in the house as long as it remained unsold.
In 1917, the house was purchased by William H.T. Spinney. Mr. Spinney was the eldest son of the Hon. E.K. Spinney, M.P. As a young man he learned the hardware business from his father and climbed the business ladder until he was made Managing Director of E.K. Spinney Limited, just about the time he purchased this house. He held this position until his early death at the age of 46. He was well respected in the business world and for some years was a member of the executive of the Maritime Hardware Association.
James McLaughlin June 15, 1875 – Feb 5, 1895 Merchant
William H.T. Spinney Nov 1, 1917 – August 16, 1920 Merchant-Manager
18 Collins Street
Re: 16 Collins
Harry Margolian Merchant
July 24, 1945 – Jan 20, 1960
20 Collins Street
1890 – 1895
Queen Ann Revival
Originally part of the John Bingay estate, this land was purchased in 1890 by Edward Cann from Jacob Bingay for $460.00. E.B. Cann had this home built between 1890 and 1895 when he is listed in the directory as residing here. Edward Cann was a well known Merchant in the Town of Yarmouth. He operated a successful clothing establishment at the corner of Main and Central Street. In 1910 the house was purchased by Thomas S. Brown and his wife Eliza. The house has remained in the Bown family ever since, being owned today by the Bowns granddaughter. Mary P. Fuller.
In 1938 Alfred C. Fuller purchased the house for the use of his mother-in-law.
Edward B. Cann August 16, 1890 – May 3, 1910. Merchant
24 Collins Street
Built in the Queen Anne Revival Style
The above ground foundation is of brick. In 1887, James Long purchased this lot from Robert S. Eakins for $270.00. Eakins, a merchant, was acting as a trustee for John Ryerson, also a merchant. The lot was still vacant in 1890 but by 1895 it is listed as the residence of James Long of Cook and Long. Cook and Long was an operation of Stevedores who head their business at 193 Water Street.
James Long November 5, 1887 to September 25, 1919 Stevedore/Truckman
In 1919 James Long sold the property to Abram b. Little, a carpenter Abram Blackburn Little
11 Second Street
Re: 25 Collins Street
Apparently, however, references in these deeds are to an earlier house on this lot. Lawson writes, “The George Ryerson homestead property, corner of Collins & Second Streets was purchased by Capt. John Murphy in April, 1884, for $2,000.00. The house was removed to the lot corner of Main & Parade Streets and the present find dwelling erected on the lot next year”. In 1922, the house was purchased by the Hon. Paul L. Hatfield. Hatfield was born in Arcadia, Yarmouth county and was the son of Cpt. Abraham Hatfield. He was a prominent businessman. He first entered public life as a member of the Municipal Council and later was Warden for several years. He was first elected to the House of Commons in 1921, in 1926 he retired to accept a post in the Senate.
Captain John Murphy was born October 27, 1824. He was for many years one of Yarmouth’s most successful shipmasters, and having retired from active service he built and managed several of the largest and finest ships in Yarmouth. Before his death in 1895 at the age of 71 he had become one of Yarmouth’s most wealthy citizens.
Captain Murphy also built a large home (at what is now 25 Collins Street) about the time he had this home built. The second home is believed to have been built for his son Captain Charles W. Murphy
John Murphy May 1, 1884 – Jan. 25, 1895 Ship owner.
11 Collins Street
The foundation is of concrete. The earliest record found for this house is a deed of 1855. Here, George Ryerson purchased the property from Richard Patten for $225.00 Considering the price of purchase it seems likely that the house was already on the lot at that time. In 1867 Ryerson sold the house to George Durkee. Durkee, a ship broker, is shown as residing here on A.F. Church’s map 1870). And also in the 1890 directory. From 1892 to 1900 the house was owned by the Nova Scotia Permanent Benefit Building Society, during part of this time Samuel Hood, a Watchmaker, resided here.
This house has had several uses in the past, a single family home, apartments and more recently a Bed and Breakfast and brewing Supplies Shop.
George G. Durkee was a well known ship broker and charterer of vessels. He was the son of Captain Amasa Durkee. And with his father owned several large vessels at the height of Yarmouth’s shipping enterprise.
31 Willow Street
Italianate in style
Originally part of John Bingay's estate, this lot was purchased by Frederick R.S. Mildon from Bingay's widow for $900.00 in 1875. Presumably Mildon and his wife Abbie had this house built within the next few years when they sold it to Zebina Goudey for $5.000.00. Goudey a shipowner, died in 1887 leaving the property to his widow Almira. Almira A. Goudey is listed as residing here in the 1890 and 1895 directories. In 1906 she sold the property to Ninnie C. Rankin, wife of Alfred N. Rankin, a broker from New York.
Frederick R.S. Mildon Sept. 1, 1875 - Nov. 7, 1878 Merchant
Zebrina Goudey Nov. 7, 1878 - Nov. 22, 1887 Shipowner
Almira A. Goudey Nov. 22, 1887 - Sept. 25, 1906 Widow
Will Minnie C. Rankin Sept. 25, 1906 - Sept. 25, 1906 Wife of Alfred Rankin (Broker)
15 Collins Street
Queen Ann Revival in style.
In June of 1894, Ann Willett Spinney (widow of the late H. Arthur Spinney) purchased this lot from Margaret Jane Corning (also a widow) for $600.00. Lawson tells us that Mrs. Spinney house on Collins Street was erected that same year. Mrs Spinney later married Harvey S. Tedford, a Carpenter and upon the death of his wife, Tedford purchased the house from her Executor, John Anderson, for $5,300.00. The house was later owned by Ada Ross, wife of Joseph Wiley Ross. A master Mariner and then by the Margolian family who also owned real estate in Truro and Montreal.
Charles Richards House
17 Collins Street
Queen Ann Revival style, Built between 1893 and 1895, Charles C Richards, a Druggist, this home has since had several notable owner's. Charles Richards died in September 1918 leaving the house to his son. Bradford Richards had agreed to sell the house to John Kirk on October 9, 1918 for $7,000.00 Bradford died only two weeks later. On February 10th, 1919 Frances Richard (Executrix of Bradford Richards) sold the property to John D. Kirk. The house was owned between 1942 and 1946 by his Majesty (George the Sixth) and used at this time as a residence for the Canadian Women's Army Corps. Between 1946 and 1963 the building was used as a public Library and Museum. In March of 1944 fire broke out in the Y.M.C.A. Building , corner of Cliff.
19 A Collins Street
Garth F. & Bernice J. Hatfield
Garth F. & Bernice J. Hatfield June 15, 1944 – Oct 6, 1999
19 Collins Street
Queen Ann revival in Style
The Exterior foundation is faced with brick. Originally part of the John Bingays estate, this land was purchased by M. Pickles Cook in 1889 from an heir of John Bingay. The purchase price at that time was $600.00. Within the next year, when he is listed as residing here. Cook was in business with Thomas W. Stoneman, whose home was just up the street (now 23 Collins Street). Cook and Stoneman operated a dry goods store a what was then 327 Main Street.
Michael Pickles cook was born in Milton, September 28, 1858. The son of George W. And Elizabeth Griswold Cook. As a young man he moved to town and worked for Bailey and Killam as a Junior clerk and later entered into partnership with Thomas W. Stoneman. Eventually he took over Mr. Stonemans interest and continued under the firm M.P. Cook and Company. His son Harold was a member of the firm and worked for his father except for a few years spent in the United States. M. Pickles cook was a past president of the Yarmouth Board of Trade. He also served several terms as Town councillor.
M. Pickles Cook, Merchant Feb 18, 1889 – Feb 4, 1944
31 Carleton Street
Queen Ann Revival in Style
Joseph Wyman, a furniture dealer purchased this land from Robert S. Eakins (Trustee of Nathan Moses). Two years later Wyman sold the land to Augustus Cann for $1,250.00. “Capt. Augustus Cann disposed of his dwelling and lot on Parade Street to J. Townsend Anderson in March 1892 began construction of his very attractive homestead the same year”.
Alice Margaret Moores July 18, 1962 – April 24, 1987 Apartment
23 Collins Street
1890 – 1895
Queen Ann Revival in Style
Exterior foundation is of Brick.
In 1890, Thomas Stoneman, a well known Merchant in the town purchased this property then listed as vacant but by 1895 it was shown as the house and grounds of Thos. W. Stoneman.
In his younger years Mr. Stoneman was employed with Bailey and Cann and later with Bailey and Killam, both dry good dealers. In May, 1884 he entered into partnership with M. Pickles Cook under the firm name of Cook and Stoneman, Dry Goods Dealers. Mr. Cooks partnership existed for more than 27 years. In 1911, the firm was dissolved and Mr. Stoneman purchased the extensive Hawthorne Street livery stables of J. M. Trefry which he managed until about 1915.
For six years, from 1909 until 1915, Thomas Stoneman served as a Town Councillor.
Jan. 1 1890 to Nov. 16 1916 Merchant.
25 Collins Street
Re: 11 Second
Built in Italianate Style
This house was built between 1882 and 1890 by John Murphy, a Ship-owner who also had built what is now 11 Second Street. This house was apparently built for John Murphy’s son Charles, who is shown residing here on the 1890 and 1895 directories.
At the time these two houses were built, father and son together were engaged in the shipbuilding industry and owned some of the largest vessels built in the county. In 1895 John Murphy sold the house to Charles who lived here until his death in 1907 at the age of 52. His widow, Mary was the daughter of Isaac Hatfield of Tusket. She conveyed the house the following year to Captain Lovitt W. Hines.
Captain Lovitt Wilson Hines was born in Pubnico. He began fishing out of Boston and Gloucester and eventually owned five large fishing boats. He was Skipper in three of these. He retired from the fishing business in 1908 when he bought this house and moved to Yarmouth.
John Murphy July 17 1882 – Jan. 25 1895 Shipowner
Charles W. Murphy Jan 25, 1895 – July 25, 1907 Shipowner
Victor and Alberta Bain May 22, 1979 - June 6 1979
Basil T. Pero --- October 30, 1986 As High Sheriff
The Bank of Nova Scotia October 30 1986 – November 21 1986.
23 Clements Street
1882 – 1885
Queen Ann Revival in Style.
Built between 1882 and 1885, by John Robbins, a merchant, early sketches of the house (the 1889 BEV map) show a four sided tower projecting above the facade the house has since been owned by upper class families including three Physicians and several Merchants.
Dr. Willard C. O’Brien was born in Noel, Hants County, the son of Milton and Alice (Crowe) O’Brien. He was a Medical Doctor in Yarmouth and Wedgeport for 60 years (1919 – 1979). He was Mayor of Wedgeport from 1936 – 1942 and was a member in the provincial legislature from 1956 – 1963. A very highly respected citizen in Yarmouth County he received an honorary doctorate degree in humanities from Ste. Anne’s University in 1980.
John Y. Robbins June 13, 1882 – June 23, 1885 Merchant
Willard C. O’Brien April 7, 1942 – April 23, 1963 Physician
MacKinnon & Cann House
27 Willow Street
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
1887 – 1889
Italianate in Style
Italianate in Style, Cupola also with a Truncated Hip roof. Exterior foundation is of brick. In November of 1887 Zebina Goudey, a wealthy ship owner died, leaving this lot of land, just south of his homestead to his daughter Fannie MacKinnon .Fannie was the wife of William MacKinnon and they had this magnificent double house built within the next two years. In 1889 the MacKinnon’s sold the southern half of the house to Fannie’s brother Hiram Goudey who was a Municipal Clerk..
From 1920 to 1977 this half of the house was owned by the Cann family. Hazel G. Cann purchased it from the widow and heirs of Hiram Goudey and upon her death in 1959 the house went to her son William S. Cann of South Ohio, Yarmouth County. William S. Cann owned the property from April 1 1960 – July 21 1977.
29 Willow Street
W. Carl sells his share in the house to his sister F. Jean MacKinnon. Miss Francis Jean MacKinnon continued to own the house until her death in 1971, although in her elder years she lived at the Villa St. Joseph. She was a piano and music teacher and never married.
William S. & Louisa A. Cann July 18,1972 – July 21,1977
21-25 Willow Street
Classic Revival in style, The foundation is of granite slab. This home is believed to have been built for Charles Moody between 1875, when he purchased the land, and 1878 when the house is clearly pictured on a B.E.V. Map of Yarmouth.
This house was used from 1883 to 1957 as the parsonage for the First Yarmouth Baptist church (later Zion Baptist Church). In Lawson we read “Zion Baptist Parsonage”, Willow Street, was purchased from James B. Moody, who erected it in July 1883.
In fact it was James B Moody's daughter Sarah Margaret Moody who conveyed the house to trustees of the church. The basic design of this house is identical (with the interior in reverse) to 10 Parade Street which was also built by James B. Moody.
Charles Moody June 20 1875 to December 6, 1881 Merchant’s Clerk Trustees of the First Yarmouth Baptist church September 1, 1883 – November 25, 1957.
28 Carleton Street
Craftsman influenced bungalow.
26 Carleton Street
29 Carleton Street
1891 – 1892
Greek Revival in Style
In 1891, James Baker purchased this lot of land from Thomas W. Stoneman for $500.00. It seems likely that Baker, a carpenter, built this house himself although it appears he did not reside here. Yarmouth Past and Present, we know this house was constructed between 1891 – 1892. The 1895 directory for Yarmouth shows E.J. Vickery, bookseller, living here. Edgar J. Vickery owned a book store opposite the old Post Office at what was then 307 Main Street. He also operated a “Circulating Library” charging 2 cents per day or 10 cents per week.
James G. Baker Jan 16 1891 – Feb 7, 1896 Carpenter
27 Carleton Street
Queen Ann Revival in Style. The exterior foundation is of brick.
The Hon. L.C. Gardner grew up in Yarmouth and after graduating from the Academy went to the Brooklyn College of Pharmacy in New York City. He returned to Yarmouth and went to work for C. C. Richards and Co. Ltd. He was later manager and eventually purchased the company under the name of L.C. Gardner and co. In 1918, he was named Vice-President and in 1929 he was elected president and managing director. The Hon. L. C. Gardner was a member to the Provincial Legislature from 1928 and Speaker from 1933 until his death.
Lindsay G. Gardner Nov. 14 1903 – Aug. 23, 1938 Druggist.
40-42 Alma Street
1891 – 1895
Queen Ann Revival in Style
In 1891 Ebenezer Erskine Archibald purchased this property from Thomas W. Stoneman for $750.00. Archibald who was a farmer from Wolfville apparently had this large, double house built between 1891 and 1895 when he is listed on the Yarmouth directory. At this time, Archibald was working for “Blacadar and Co.” and residing in the West side of the house while Alvin Spinney, a Truck man, lived in the East side. Apparently by 1949 the house had been converted into four apartments for the directory of that year lists the following: Alma Street (40) R.H. Thompson Asst. Acct. Royal Bank (40 and a half) J.A. Doucette (Jerry A.) Manager, Singer Sewing Machines (42) R.A. Russell Empl. Bank of N.S. (42 and a half) K.R. Scott Asst. Acct. Bank of N.S.. Although no Deed or Will could be found from Ebenezer Archibald to Edgar Archibald et.al. It seems likely that they were heirs of Ebenezer who apparently died interstate.
Margaret A. Hilton was the wife of Carlos Hilton, a farmer from Carlton.
Catherine G. Porter was the wife of Israel L. Porter.
This rather imposing double house is located on a slight hill surrounded by large trees. A large barn which appears similar in age to the house is found at the rear.
Ebenezer E. Archibald October 8 1891 – February 17, 1917. Farmer
20 Clements Street
This house shows influence of the Queen Ann Revival Style.
In the 1890 directory, this property, on the West side of what was then “High Street” is listed as vacant. In December of that year Adeline (Addie) Robbins purchased this lot from James G. Baker for $550.00. An article from the Yarmouth Light dated October 22, 1891, reads “One of the most pleasant and convenient homes in this town is that of Mr. And Mrs. C.S. P Robbins, situated on the corner of Clements and Alma Streets. The house, which is a two storey one with pitch roof, has just been finished:. The article goes on to describe the interior of the house in detail. The rooms on the first floor were finished in American Ash the upstairs bedrooms were finished in stained Cherry and Walnut and the Parlour Fireplace was ornamented with colored tiles and bronze. The house was built by Mr. Charles Kent and the mason work done by Mr. Gavel.
Addie Robbins Dec 27 1890 – July 20, 1940 Married Woman
Bernard and Charles Robbins July 20 1940 – August 31, 1940 Merchant/ Physician.
21 Clements Street
Italianate in Design
The exterior foundation is of brick.
In 1882, this property was purchased in trust for Elizabeth Porter by Arthur W. Porter for $700.00. the following year Elizabeth Porter, who was the wife of George H. Porter an accountant, took out a mortgage for $2,500.00. It seems likely that they were building this house at that time. The Porters were apparently unable to repay the mortgage and a suit was filed against them by Alexander Murray and Edgar Spinney, the mortgagers. The house was sold in 1885 by a Sheriff’s deed to Edgar K Spinney and again in 1888 to Robert Harris in trust for Annie Lavers. The 1890 directory shows George Lavers, a Life Insurance Agent residing here and Miss Mary Sterritt, a teacher. The 1895 directory lists Edgar N. Clements, Barrister, living here.
Dorothy and Ruth Blackadar were the daughters of Caroline Blackadar who died interstate in 1930. they sold the house in 1933 by Quit Claim Deed to their father George Blackadar.
Mayor George D. Blackadar was a Senior Cadet Instructor of Military District No.6 (Nova Scotia). He retired in January 1944 having carried out the longest service of an instructor in Canada at that time.
George D. Blackadar Dec 20 1933 – July 8, 1949 School Teacher, Member of Parliament, Mayor.
46 Alma Street
Gothic Revival in Style
In 1862, Ensign Nickerson purchased this lot of land from Dr. Greggs J. Farish for $130.00. It is assumed that Nickerson built or had built this house on the property within the next five years, for when he sells the lot to Nathan Moses in 1867, it was valued at $1,300.00
Nathan Moses as one of Yarmouth’s leading ship-owners and was on the Board of Directors for the Acadian Insurance Co. From 1861 – 1881. In 1885 he was elected as a member of Parliament for the township of Yarmouth and in 1863 he held the position of Justice of the Peace. In 1881, Moses conveyed this and several other properties to Robert Eakins in trust. Eakins sold the house in 1882 to William Rowe for $1,900. Rowe was the son of Rev. Rowe and was born in Sydney, C.B. Rowe learned the machinist business as a young man and later Marine Engineering. For many years he held a Chief Engineers position with the original Yarmouth Steamship Co. Ltd. In 1924, the heirs of William Rowe sold the house to Anna & William Harding. William Harding, a merchant, owned I.H. Goudy’s Crockery Store on Main Street. In 1948 they conveyed the house to their son, Ralph Harding who was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army. Several of Lt. Col. Hardings war metals are in possession of the Yarmouth Historical Museum.
Ensign Nickerson May 19 1862 – March 1, 1867 Mariner
37 Alma Street
Greek Revival in Style
This house is believed to have been built between 1885 and 1890 for Captain Ebenezer Scott, although it appears Captain Scott did not reside here. The directory for 1890 shows William H. Brackett living here.
Mr. Brackett was a Barber and Hairdresser with his shop on Main Street. In 1895 John Madden, a Tailor and Presser was living here. The house was later owned by Mr. & Mrs. Edward Thurston . The Thurston’s also owned for some time what is now 35 Alma Street and it is unclear whether they rented this property or not. Edward J. Thurston was the son of William and Lilia Corning. For many years he was employed by the Town but for most of his career he was self-employed. The most recent owners have been the Robbins. James C. Robbins was employed as a clerk for E.K. Spinney Ltd. Who were whole sale and retail dealers in hardware. Later he worked for the Villa St. Joseph in their business office.
On April 1, 1944, this property was purchased by the recently widowed Annie Laurie Dane, whose husband had drowned on March 1, age 41, after his boat was swamped in a tide-rip in the Tusket Islands. Fred Dane was well known as a lobster producer-operator and had run an extensive business at Ellenwood Island for several years. At the time of his death, the family had resided in a larger house on William Street, but Annie and her three children moved here within a few weeks after her husband’s untimely death. Yarmouth Times, Jan. 1, 1890: “Building in 1889” (a list of buildings constructed in the previous year) “Capt. Eben Scott, house on Alma Street, J.G. Baker, Builder.”
Ebenezer Scott April 25, 1885 – May 11, 1901 Master Mariner
22 Carleton Street
Basically Vernacular in Style
This house is believed to have been built for George M. Patten who purchased the land in 1884. The following year Patten sold the property to Ebenezer Scott. Scott also owned, at this time, the house boarding to the West (now 37 Alma Street) and it is believed he used this house as a rental property. The directories show that in 1890 Lock Hersey was residing here and in 1895 Jacob Churchill, Sr. A carpenter was living here.
Locke Hersey was a well known Skipper in Yarmouth. He worked for several years for Hugh Cann and Sons whose company carried on a general towing and freight carrying business. Retiring from the Coastwise trade he later entered the Lobster packing business and operated canneries at Short Beach, Kelley’s Cove and other areas. For several years he served the town as Town Councillor. It is believed that while the home was owned by Mr. Newell (from 1905 – 1920) it was used as a Cordwainer’s shop.
George M. & Alice C. Patten Nov. 27 1884 – April 25 1885 Trader/Wife
Sadie M. & Frank H. Newell July 7, 1905 – August 9, 1920 Wife/Clerk
39 Alma Street
Greek Revival in Style.
Believed to have been built between 1865 and 1869 for Joseph Sleeth, a Blacksmith. This house is now owned by Eric and Barbara Ruff and is a Registered Heritage Property. From 1883 until 1925 the house was owned by the Sanderson Family, Gilbert O. Sanderson and his son George G. Were in the Mercantile business. Captain Gilbert sold the house to George in 1890. George Sanderson was a prominent ship-owner and also a broker for the Commercial Insurance Company. He was on the committee which built the Old ladies Home in 1889 and was later a Township Warden. He is most noted, through, as being on the first town council after Yarmouth’s incorporation in 1890. In 1916 George Sanderson and his wife Fannie sold the house to their son Claude L. Sanderson. Claude Sanderson was educated at Acadia and Dalhousie Universities and received his L.L.B. in 1905. He practiced Law for fifty nine years and was Dean of Local Barristers and a member of Council of Nova Scotia Barristers Society.
Joseph Sleeth September 1, 1865 – October 1, 1869 Blacksmith
45 Alma Street
Italianate in Style.
In 1879, Prince Durkee purchased this lot of land from Robert S. Eakins, a Merchant for $525.00 In 1887, Durkee took out a mortgage with the Board of the Presbyterian College Halifax for $1,600.00. It is believed that he was building this house at that time. In 1888, Durkee sold the property to Huram Chute for $900.00 and the $1,600.00 mortgage, at this time Durkee was residing in San Diego.
Hiram Chute was a co-partner in Chute, Hall and Company. This company, located on Water Street immediately South of the Marine Railway, manufactured Church and Parlor Cabinet Organs. The actions for these instruments were also manufactured on the premises.
Mr. Chute had been employed with five different Organ Builders in the United States and later with the Annapolis Organ Co. Before moving to Yarmouth.
In 1893, the co-partnership was dissolved and reopened under the name H.E. Chute and Co.
Prince H. Durkee November 1, 1879 – November 10 1888. Clerk
47 Alma Street
Greek Revival in style
This property was originally part of the Henry G. Farish Estate and was left to his son, Henry G. Farish (Jr.) in 1856. Mr. Farish (Jr.) conveyed the property to Nehemiah K. Clements in 1863 at which time there appears to have been no buildings on the property. It is uncertain whether Mr. N.K. Clements resided her or not, he having owned several other properties.
As shown by the A.F. Church map, the house was constructed 1870 and Charles W. Clements, a brother of N.K. Clements, was residing here. It was not until 1872 however, that the property was deeded to Charles Clements. The house has been owned since 1896 by the Harding family. Mr. W.L. Harding was a well-known merchant. He and his wife moved to Yarmouth in the 1890’s and bought the I.H. Goudey’s Crockery Store, what is now 276 Main Street. The china shop was run by the Harding family under the name of W.L. Harding’s up until the early 1890’s
Charles W. Clements, Esq. Was the son of Captain Elkanah Clements the 2nd. In 1839 he married Margaret Crosby and together they had eleven children. Captain C.W. Clements is shown as a master Mariner as well as a Merchant in the Town of Yarmouth. He died at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston on July 18th 1887 at the age of 72.
Yarmouth Reminiscences, P.571: “the homestead property of the late Capt. Charles W. Clements, corner of Alma and Clements Streets, was purchased at auction by Mrs. S.F. Raymond on the 5th September, 1894, for 1,900.00
Nehemiah K. Clements Nov. 10 1863 – Sept. 14-1872 Merchant
Charles W. Clements Sept. 14, 1872 -July 18 1887 Master Mariner
22 Collins Street
Built in the Gothic Style
The contract for the building of the new church was awarded to Milford and William Simms, a father and son who were originally from Plymouth, Yarmouth County and to Churchill and Burton, Masons. The church cost $15,000.00 and is the only stone building that Mr. Simms ever built. The corner stone was laid on the afternoon of August 9, 1892 and the dedication of the church took place on Sunday, August 20th, 1893, the pastor, Rev. William McIntosh officiated.
An article from the Yarmouth Light of August 3, 1893 describes the new Church in detail and also lists the people responsible for its construction. The building committee consisted of Captain E. Scott, Messrs. E.F. Clements, G.E. Lavers,
1892 –July 12 1967